Can People Change??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#1New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 10:32:55
Do you beleive in second chances? can peple honestly change or is the human mind that stubbon, people will always revert back to how the used to be...

Im a firm beleiver in second chances in people, doesnt matter what they have done... But... i find alot of people seem to fail me, once a cheater/liar etc always... springs to mind....

But i have changed alot since say i was 18. Back then i was getting pissed every night, and sleeping with any thing in a skirt.. now.. i drink once a week (or twice), and have a relationship and fallen in love!

So can people change, or do they have to want to change and not say it, just to prove a point??

What do you reckon...
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 10:33:57
Yes, definitiely. Its taken me a very long time to be the person i am today, if i met myself at 18 i really wouldnt like myself.
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 10:35:07
yes. people can and do change. but only when THEY want to. others cannot initiate the change. it has to come from within.
suckslikeafox On August 03, 2009

, Ireland
#4New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 10:39:14
people change anyways, whether they want to or not. its part of life unfortunately
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 10:41:31
@suckslikeafox Said
people change anyways, whether they want to or not. its part of life unfortunately

yes i'd agree with that quite often change if forced upon you by lifes circumstances.
suckslikeafox On August 03, 2009

, Ireland
#6New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 10:43:40
yep, its happening in my life at the moment & im trying to fight it buts its probably not going to work.

To quote Yeats,

"all changed, changed utterly
a terrible beauty is born"

Not massively apropiate but its a great quote
steveuk On May 15, 2012

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 11:08:04
If someone does change, it will be over a long period of time.

Like Treebs, If I met myself about 10 years ago, I wouldn'y have really liked me either. Over a long period, I realised that the person I was wasn't the person I wanted to be.

So yes, people can change, but it is a long process, not something that can be done over night or within a few months.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#8New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 11:11:03
I agree with you all... people can change... and only if they want to and over a period of time....

So if soeone commits a crime and they go to prison for a long time... why dont we give them the benifit of the doubt??
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 11:16:28
@markfox01 Said
I agree with you all... people can change... and only if they want to and over a period of time....

So if soeone commits a crime and they go to prison for a long time... why dont we give them the benifit of the doubt??

Depends on the crime, if its like 20 years for armed robbery - they done thier time, they deserve to start with a new slate - thier crime has cost them a huge chunk of thier lives.

If the crime is particulary sadistic and f***ed up and recurrent then the possibility is they could be capable of doing it again. I truly beleive it can be in a persons nature to be that way.

Some people dont change, most people do.

Like if you go to a social club on a Friday night you always get the old guy at the bar who thinks hes still a 20 year old jack the lad, he never settled despite having numerous kids all over the place, he never changed, his mentality has always been the same. Its real sad.

My ex b/f hasnt changed, in some ways he has but he still has this controlling jealous nature that he simply cannot overcome and every relationship he has had has been ruined by this. He will always be on his own unless he can overcome it.

Its so sad when people cannot change.
angel_lily On February 16, 2007

Kent, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 11:21:02
Yeah I believe people can change - I have immensely over the years.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#11New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 11:25:34
eh,
appropiate song lyrics.

cuz you think patience is a virtue
& what you don't know can't hurt you
& that events can change & shape us
more than we can change ourselves

& that concious attempt at growth is stupid,
and i should relax and be myself
& you even think it's arrogant to try.

jeffrey lewis.
you don't have to be a scientist to do experiments
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#12New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 12:04:04
some people are capable of changing...for better as well as for worse...but just don't pin your hopes on the former!
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 12:10:29
Yes but only when the want to.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#14New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 12:19:04
People change inevitably, but not when it's someone elses decision that they should, and not in the ways that other people think they should either. It's all within the individual. So don't try to change people. It's frustrating to them, it's frustrating to you, and neither of you gets anything for all that frustration. I've found the best way to go is just to either accept a person as they are, or let them go. If they happen to change into something you can accept later on, then great, give it another go, but don't count on things going your way, it's out of your hands.
miss_rob On November 21, 2006

Adelaide, Australia
#15New Post! Nov 17, 2006 @ 12:27:33
People don't change, they can learn and expand their thinking and change their lifestyles but the bastards dont change.

the reason the bastards don't change is because they wont admit they need to and therefore they think the sun shines outa their backsides.

I've learnt from people that no body actually changes, they can grow up a lil, learning to define right and wrong behaviour or perhaps they will learn not to do something when they dont like the concequences of their actions.

BUT they do not change, a 2nd chance only teaches people to walk over you and should be saved for genuine mistakes.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs