Child beating dad

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Bloomsy On November 11, 2012

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 15:21:41
@Eaglebauer Said

Yeah, I basically just gave the link to that book that probably has good info and said it might be worth at least talking to a solicitor to see if it's something that can be pursued.

Perhaps the OP doesn't want to get into too much detail because of the sensitivity surrounding the issue with him/her. That's understandable, but then that begs the question of why ask about it on a public forum in the first place?

Well there's not much more detail to go into really. I only posted it to see if anyone knew anything about the situation so i can have more food for thought.

Thanks for rplyine btw.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#17New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 15:22:16
@Bloomsy Said

I'm 42 and they happened in 198/1.

Grow up and get over it.
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 15:27:55
@Eaglebauer Said

Yeah, I basically just gave the link to that book that probably has good info and said it might be worth at least talking to a solicitor to see if it's something that can be pursued.

Perhaps the OP doesn't want to get into too much detail because of the sensitivity surrounding the issue with him/her. That's understandable, but then that begs the question of why ask about it on a public forum in the first place?

the fact that they are in their 40's and asking for legal advice here worries me somewhat.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 15:40:56
From what I can gather from the NSPCC website, NSPCC - Deciding not to prosecute , it is probably unlikely you will be able to prosecute.

To bring criminal charges against a person can be very expensive, which is why it has to be 'in public interest'. Considering he is unlikely to do it again, and there is no hard evidence, it's probably unlikely that the police will do anything. If they do, it will depend on what laws were in place at the time it happened, not today's laws on child abuse.

You could sue, but again you would have to prove that he did it, and probably that it had a lasting and damaging effect on you. You'd also have to fund the suit yourself, which could be expensive - and have wider effects on the relationships in the family.

It might just be better to talk to him about it. Depending on how bad the beating was, and what you had done, he might have considered it an appropriate response based on his childhood. I'm not condoning it, what I'm saying is by talking about it, he might realise how wrong it was and try to make amends. It might give you a better sense of understanding and peace, without alienating yourself from the rest of the family.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 17:35:16
Lol: https://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1612527
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 17:40:34
Hows Kyra?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#22New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 18:09:42
@x_Laura_x Said

Wow. Another attention seeker.

@Rehabilitation_Please Said

Hows Kyra?

After seeing the page from Laura's link, I thought the exact same thing. If not her, then another member that is just the same.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 18:29:50
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

Hows Kyra?

Who's Kyra?
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#24New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 18:46:43
@x_Laura_x Said

OMG! I should have read the whole thread before posting.
CausaMortis On April 20, 2012

San Antonio, Texas
#25New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 19:03:48
My father was a Vietnam medic, he was tough as nails, saw some real combat, seldom spoke about it. Growing up he beat the holy hell out of my brothers and me (belts, extension cords, cigarette butts, you name it) as is the Mexican tradition. I had no control over it but I have turned it into a net positive, it made me more resilent and headstrong. My strength had to come from within because compassion and sympathy was non-existent.

I am not trying to justify child abuse, indeed it is wrong, but I've found that thinking myself as some sort of "victim," has not done me any favors. What has helped me was trying to understand why father became the person he was. He was not a bad man, but rather endured some terrible experiences, compounded by the fact that he was only raising his children in the only manner he knew how. He was beat as a child, and perpetrated it. Once you are mature enough to understand why your parents became the people they are, what formed their view of the world, then you are well onto your way to being able to accept what happened to you. I accepted the fact a long time ago that my father was a terribly flawed human being; he did the best he could, but he had his own demons. Life was not a bed of roses for him either.

In five simple words: I chose to forgive him. It was a conscious decision, which enabled us later to become good friends. The day before my old man passed away I was at his bedside, we joked, laughed, and thought of only pleasant things. He gave me some fatherly advice about the direction I was choosing to pursue in my professional life, I disagreed with it but listened nonetheless.

You can go to the authorities if you wish, though I seriously doubt it's going to make much of any difference. In most situations there is a statue of limitations on child abuse, and assuming that you did pursue your father on criminal charges and you won your case, it's not going to erase what happened to you, nor is it going to get you one step further to acceptance, only you are capable of doing that.

These are just my own thoughts from someone who has been there, I am not a phycologist, my opinion my not be at all correct. It was just what worked for me. I wish you well.
tom On March 16, 2023
i love .....

Notlongagoinaplacenotfaraway,
#26New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 19:37:52
Right first off there is no such thing in the UK as pressing charges unless you bring a private criminal case against him yourself with no help from the crown (much like the Lawrence family did a couple of years ago). The way the legal system works is you report a crime to the police who investigate and get the crown prosecution service to decide whether a suspect is to be charged or not. There is actually no statute of limitations on criminal offences in the UK so that wouldn't be an issue.
With offences such as this happening so long ago there would be no forensic evidence so it would be your word against his. If you got other members of your family to provide supporting evidence that you were seriously beaten as a child then investigation may be put together.
However you have also got to look at the fact that back then a lawful defence to common assault and ABH (actual bodily harm) was child chastisement, so you would have to prove that the beatings were serve enough to warrant a charge of GBH (gross bodily harm) such as permenant disability, broken bone, serious wounds or serious mental disability due to the attacks or were beyond the realms of child chastisement.

Best piece of advice is to go speak to a experienced detective at your local police station, but prepare to expect the answer to be no. The CPS usually only take on historic cases of large public interest (such as certain murders or sexual assaults) or a large amount of evidence.

And if you are attention seeking, whats the point of posting of such forums, we are not legal experts (so take my advice given with a pinch of salt and if your really worried, pay and see a lawyer)
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#27New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 20:05:58
@x_Laura_x Said

Who's Kyra?

The girl another member goes on and on and on about. https://www.theforumsite.com/users/dark_angel1715/journal/79183
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 20:46:25
@hoppy Said

Grow up and get over it.

Great now i can use this quote when you b**** about the president.
Bloomsy On November 11, 2012

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#29New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 21:53:39
@tom Said

And if you are attention seeking, whats the point of posting of such forums, we are not legal experts (so take my advice given with a pinch of salt and if your really worried, pay and see a lawyer)

Thanks for replying. I posted this on this forum and a coupla others to get replies like yours. Legal experts are the next step but asking people in general is a good way of gaining a wider perspective. I feel I've acheived that objective despite a few coments along the lines of I'm just attention seeking. Unnerstand?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs