The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Should drivers pay by the mile instead of the gallon?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 04:04:44
Quote:
For nearly 80 years, motorists have paid a tax every time they put gas in their cars. What if they were taxed based on how far they drive instead?

The idea, known as vehicle-miles traveled (VMT) taxes, is likely to come up next week at a Senate Finance Committee hearing on ways to pay for future infrastructure. The Congressional Budget Office has talked up the idea, as did a group commissioned by Congress to explore transportation financing. Even the Obama administration floated the idea as part of a draft reauthorization of the highway funding bill, though the White House has since distanced itself from the idea.

Options to measure distance traveled range from regular odometer readings to GPS-enabled tracking that would determine where and when travel occurred. That would be useful if the government wants to charge higher rates during peak rush hours, for example, a concept already used to some extent on highways with electronic tolls.
But its chief appeal is money. The current consumption-driven system is becoming outdated as the number of fuel-efficient cars is growing and expected to soar in the coming years. Because they travel farther on a gallon of gas, the drivers of these vehicles are, in effect, paying less than they once did, and that is limiting the government's ability to maintain its transportation system.

https://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-05-13-gas-mileage-tax_n.htm?csp=24

This comes as no surprise .
I was thinking as I read that wasn't seeing any mention of the tax we already pay per gallon , just that this new per mile tax , if passed, will be added . But further down the article it mentions adding another 6 cents onto the 18.4 cent per gallon federal tax .
We finally get fuel-efficient cars that we can afford to drive ,
and the government figures we can afford more taxes.
And while they are at it , they have found yet another way to take a bit more of our 'right to privacy' away . If this passes.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 04:37:55
It won't pass. Unless they want to kill their chances of winning any future election or even spark a bloody revolt lol.

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 05:19:54
Quote:
Department of Transportation has requested $20 million in next year’s budget to establish the Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. The office, which would be located within the Federal Highway Administration, would look at a "range of revenue-generation alternatives," not just a tax on miles traveled.

Although there are other financing schemes, such as expanding toll roads and bridges, the VMT has gotten the most attention, because policy experts consider it to be the most reliable funding source for future highway projects. Why? The number of vehicle miles traveled increases at a faster rate than the consumption of gasoline, because of the introduction of more fuel-efficient cars. Transportation policy experts are concerned that taxes on fuel are not keeping pace with the demand for surface transportation projects, and there is not the political will to raise the gasoline tax

https://factcheck.org/2011/05/is-obama-going-to-tax-drivers/

They will do just as they have always done.
This administration will not support it, per say, but will make sure all the funds needed to put it in place is available , then when the next administration takes office it will be one of those deals that comes in the packaged deal . Just my [smile]https://c.tfster.com/images/galleries/full_1265b0c4825072bd666fee66a7203287.jpg">

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 05:24:31
Here is a link that I followed from the FactCheck report.

White House Wants to Track and Tax Your Mileage

https://www.newsmax.com/Headline/gas-tax-tracking-obama/2011/05/05/id/395346?s=al&promo_code=C36B-1#ixzz1LblbNKwK
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#5New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 05:26:28
And then they'll find a way not to pay it. Just the little people .

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 05:29:21
@Sweet_Merry Said

And then they'll find a way not to pay it. Just the little people .

Yes you are right . If this passes, it will hit the middle income citizens and small businesses the hardest.
Coleosis On December 01, 2013
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#7New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 05:31:57
Well, definitely not going to a digital odometer...Ill just get another roller one that I can roll the miles back on.

n/a, New Mexico
#8New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 05:51:50
@Coleosis Said

Well, definitely not going to a digital odometer...Ill just get another roller one that I can roll the miles back on.

Nope, nothing so easy as that .

Quote:

The new tax scheme, designed to help fund transportation spending, would determine your mileage by installing electronic equipment on your car.

In Minnesota, the state department of transportation is conducting a research project that would use smart phones with a GPS application to monitor mileage.

White House Wants to Track and Tax Your Mileage
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#9New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 06:03:15
@white_swan53 Said

Nope, nothing so easy as that .

Cant enforce a mileage tax without having the mileage on vehicles...Unless they put up more toll roads.

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 06:08:22
@Coleosis Said

Cant enforce a mileage tax without having the mileage on vehicles...Unless they put up more toll roads.

I read in one of the many links , that they are figuring a way to collect the tax at the gas pump . All the details will be figured out in the new 'Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office'.
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#11New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 06:24:39
@white_swan53 Said

I read in one of the many links , that they are figuring a way to collect the tax at the gas pump . All the details will be figured out in the new 'Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office'.

That would basically be impossible unless you entered your mileage at the gas pump, then I would just lie or roll back my odometer...Either way, its a dumb tax...They raise the gas prices and force people into fuel efficient vehicles, then realize that wasnt the best idea to make money, so now they are taxing people for trying to save money at the pump. How stupid can our gov get?

n/a, New Mexico
#12New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 07:19:18
@Coleosis Said

That would basically be impossible unless you entered your mileage at the gas pump, then I would just lie or roll back my odometer...Either way, its a dumb tax...They raise the gas prices and force people into fuel efficient vehicles, then realize that wasnt the best idea to make money, so now they are taxing people for trying to save money at the pump. How stupid can our gov get?

About as 'dumb as dirt'. comes to mind.
They are already taxing 18.4 cents per gallon federal tax, they are planning on adding another 6 cents to that plus this tax per mileage .
I was talking to a mechanic about this and from what he said whatever they invent to install will have to be connected into a cars computer . I have news for 'big brother' , I drive a 1985 Chevy pickup all original , they will play hell trying to install any electronic anything on it. And a computer it does not have .
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#13New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 07:51:16
Gasoline is so cheap in America compared to over here, can't figure out why you lot complain about it so much.

I read something in the Guardian a couple of months back which suggested it could be one of the key issues of the next election because of how expensive it is, it then went to show how the average price is less than half what we pay here yet here we don't give a s***, it's an expensive commodity which is contributing to global warming, government has every right to tax the s*** out of it.

n/a, New Mexico
#14New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 08:09:36
@jmo Said

Gasoline is so cheap in America compared to over here, can't figure out why you lot complain about it so much.

I read something in the Guardian a couple of months back which suggested it could be one of the key issues of the next election because of how expensive it is, it then went to show how the average price is less than half what we pay here yet here we don't give a s***, it's an expensive commodity which is contributing to global warming, government has every right to tax the s*** out of it.

Can you explain how fossil fuel contributing to global warming gives the government the right to tax the s*** out it?
About it being so expensive there compared to here , the thought comes to mind that may be it's because ""yet here we don't give a s***"" that your government can get away with taxing the s*** out it .
I am just guessing . I have no idea how your government works .
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#15New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 09:27:40
@jmo Said

If that's how laid back you guys are over there, then why the riots over a tuition increase awhile back? Education is an expensive commodity. Schools have every right to increase the tuition.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs