Parenting

Should I feel guilty?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Judas On September 02, 2015

, Canada
#1New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 05:21:04
I'll try to make this as short as possible, but forgive me if I get long winded. It's been awhile since I've actually "voiced" this.

Before I was born, my parents had a son. My brother, Matthew. He was, I guess, the epitome of the perfect son. Six feet, blonde, blue eyed, football quarter back, hockey defense.. You know those people that are just good at everything they do.
He died when he was seventeen in a drinking and driving accident. They (my parents) didn't handle it well. Who would, though? Losing a kid.

They don't talk about them before his accident, but from what I got from my uncle, they were happy. Sort of like that perfect family. But I guess it just wrecked them. They started drinking, which led to drugs, etc.
Then for whatever reason after, they decided to have a kid again. Maybe to try and turn their life around? I don't know. I think they wanted another Matthew. But, out comes me.

Matthew took after my father, I take after my mom. I'm not tall, big, blonde (I do have blue eyes, at least). I won't be a football or hockey star. Though he tried, of course. He gave up when he realised that despite my size, it'd never work because I didn't like it.
I always just felt like they were never really happy with me. Because I couldn't ever be Matthew, or they didn't wait long enough, or whatever.

But it made for a very stressful relationship between us. They never quit drinking. They mostly just smoke pot but I've seen them go on to indulge in others. Whatever, they're adult.
But the fights...Sometimes over the silliest little thing, like how I tie my shoes. Or fold the towels wrong. And they'll rant and rave and it always ends up with someone saying "Matthew wouldn't have.." or "Matthew would have..." etc. Usually I just shut up and let it ride out. Last year I threw out some stupid comment about me not being the perfect son like him and f*** him, and then the fists were flying and I was out the door.

I spent the next few months (seven-ish? It's a blur) just absoultey wrecking myself. Drinking, drugs, sex, fights, break ins, vandalism, car theft (Joy riding, I guess. I never wrecked any. Not that that's an excuse).. You name it, I did it. I was a good student - I got expelled after getting caught doing a rail off the bathroom sink. After numerous suspensions for fighting (I had a good teacher). Ended up with a real personal relationship with a few cops.

I got myself sorted out, mostly. I'm late in school this year, but I'm finishing this semester by correspondance. If I get it done in time, hopefully I get through grade 12, or most of it, this summer. I work in construction out in a dry camp hours from anything, so that helps. 24 days in, 5 days out. I usually stay because I don't know where to go.

Anyways, I disgress. They always made me feel that I should have mourned Matthew. Feel ashamed that I wasn't. I don't hate him - I never knew him. There were times, of course, where I thought I did because I was always being compared and always failing. But I never did hate him. But I never did mourn him. I know he was my brother, but to me it was like some tragedy you read in the newspaper. You feel bad for a second, shake your head at the nonsense, and move on. And it seemed like such a sin.

Am I wrong? Are they right? Should I have grief?
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#2New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 05:26:38
How old were you when your brother died?
JorieJukebox On April 30, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#3New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 05:32:13
Well, no one can tell you what to grieve for. If I'm understanding correctly, he died before you were even born?
I personally think it's unfair for your parents to expect you to be anyone other than who you are. It's very sad what they went thru, no parent should have to... But it's no excuse to put those expectations on you.
I hope you get through this, and become comfortable being your own person... Don't let their grief become YOUR life story.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#4New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 05:32:18
Nevermind...just saw that this happened before you were born...

Your parents can't expect you to grieve someone you never knew; brother or not.
I feel badly too, that my dads dad passed away; but he died before I was born, so why actually grieve him?
It's selfish of your parents to expect this of you. And even if you could, why should they want you to? It wouldn't change anything, or bring him back?

I wouod think they would invest all of their time and enegry in 'you'. And be grateful to have you, here, and 'now'. Because lets face it, you can be taken away from them in the blink of an eye. And then what?
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#5New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 05:39:47
Putting "should" (or shouldn't) with a "feeling" is like an irrational number. The only way it makes any sense is like this, "You should feel what you are really feeling."

Do an internal inventory of how you really feel. Lay back on a bed in a darken room and try to relax. Just doing that will tell you volumes on your emotional barometer. Sometimes we are in denial and try to convince ourselves (and others) that we ought to feel this way or that way to attempt to show everybody that were are in control. Hog wash! Just go with your genuine feelings. They will never steer you wrong.

J.R.
breadeater On December 25, 2015

Dread Land,
#6New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 05:51:39
@Judas Said

I'll try to make this as short as possible, but forgive me if I get long winded. It's been awhile since I've actually "voiced" this.

Before I was born, my parents had a son. My brother, Matthew. He was, I guess, the epitome of the perfect son. Six feet, blonde, blue eyed, football quarter back, hockey defense.. You know those people that are just good at everything they do.
He died when he was seventeen in a drinking and driving accident. They (my parents) didn't handle it well. Who would, though? Losing a kid.

They don't talk about them before his accident, but from what I got from my uncle, they were happy. Sort of like that perfect family. But I guess it just wrecked them. They started drinking, which led to drugs, etc.
Then for whatever reason after, they decided to have a kid again. Maybe to try and turn their life around? I don't know. I think they wanted another Matthew. But, out comes me.

Matthew took after my father, I take after my mom. I'm not tall, big, blonde (I do have blue eyes, at least). I won't be a football or hockey star. Though he tried, of course. He gave up when he realised that despite my size, it'd never work because I didn't like it.
I always just felt like they were never really happy with me. Because I couldn't ever be Matthew, or they didn't wait long enough, or whatever.

But it made for a very stressful relationship between us. They never quit drinking. They mostly just smoke pot but I've seen them go on to indulge in others. Whatever, they're adult.
But the fights...Sometimes over the silliest little thing, like how I tie my shoes. Or fold the towels wrong. And they'll rant and rave and it always ends up with someone saying "Matthew wouldn't have.." or "Matthew would have..." etc. Usually I just shut up and let it ride out. Last year I threw out some stupid comment about me not being the perfect son like him and f*** him, and then the fists were flying and I was out the door.

I spent the next few months (seven-ish? It's a blur) just absoultey wrecking myself. Drinking, drugs, sex, fights, break ins, vandalism, car theft (Joy riding, I guess. I never wrecked any. Not that that's an excuse).. You name it, I did it. I was a good student - I got expelled after getting caught doing a rail off the bathroom sink. After numerous suspensions for fighting (I had a good teacher). Ended up with a real personal relationship with a few cops.

I got myself sorted out, mostly. I'm late in school this year, but I'm finishing this semester by correspondance. If I get it done in time, hopefully I get through grade 12, or most of it, this summer. I work in construction out in a dry camp hours from anything, so that helps. 24 days in, 5 days out. I usually stay because I don't know where to go.

Anyways, I disgress. They always made me feel that I should have mourned Matthew. Feel ashamed that I wasn't. I don't hate him - I never knew him. There were times, of course, where I thought I did because I was always being compared and always failing. But I never did hate him. But I never did mourn him. I know he was my brother, but to me it was like some tragedy you read in the newspaper. You feel bad for a second, shake your head at the nonsense, and move on. And it seemed like such a sin.

Am I wrong? Are they right? Should I have grief?

Its their problem, not yours. You can't miss someone you never really cared for, let alone known. They miss him, he died, and thats sad, but thats still no excuse for behaving like idiots and trying to resurrect him through you. They're wrong.

, Canada
#7New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 06:04:07
@sTreetAngeL Said

How old were you when your brother died?

@sTreetAngeL Said

Nevermind...just saw that this happened before you were born...

Your parents can't expect you to grieve someone you never knew; brother or not.
I feel badly too, that my dads dad passed away; but he died before I was born, so why actually grieve him?
It's selfish of your parents to expect this of you. And even if you could, why should they want you to? It wouldn't change anything, or bring him back?

Before, yes. I came around about a year and a half after he died.
I know some people deal with grief different, in all sorts of ways. I guess they just never dealt with thiers.

Quote:

I wouod think they would invest all of their time and enegry in 'you'. And be grateful to have you, here, and 'now'. Because lets face it, you can be taken away from them in the blink of an eye. And then what?

I'm not entirely sure that they'd be too concerned. After the last year...I haven't talked to them in three months and there hasn't been any effort made. Granted, on either part. But I'm not sure if I really want too, yet.
I was just thinking maybe I was and a** and it could have been different.
But then I'm thinking that could just be wishful thinking.

, Canada
#8New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 06:08:44
@jr_sanford Said

Putting "should" (or shouldn't) with a "feeling" is like an irrational number. The only way it makes any sense is like this, "You should feel what you are really feeling."

Do an internal inventory of how you really feel. Lay back on a bed in a darken room and try to relax. Just doing that will tell you volumes on your emotional barometer. Sometimes we are in denial and try to convince ourselves (and others) that we ought to feel this way or that way to attempt to show everybody that were are in control. Hog wash! Just go with your genuine feelings. They will never steer you wrong.

J.R.

We're always told what we should do. I like should. I've been taking orders my whole life, and I'm good at it. Even with helping others and cleaning up messes.
I'm not so good at reflecting with myself. It brings up too many things at once and I'm not sure how to deal with it (or what I'll do) so it's a box left closed for now.
Like a cop, right? You come to a murder, even if it's someone you knew, and you just do your job.
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#9New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 06:12:12
I'm usually not very sensitive with these things..
But from what I read..

you have nothing to feel guilty about when it comes to your deceased brother.

you never knew him

you came way after he had passed away and grew up under different circumstances that he did..

in this case you could say you are more a product of your up-bringing where you were more exposed to violence and unfair comparisons...

I think you got dealt s***ty cards..
but that doesn't excuse the things you've done in my book.

still, I understand how and why some things turned out the way they did..

Still
You have nothing to be ashamed of or feel guilty about..
your parent's made that decision to bring another child into this world..

It's not your fault your brother died.

But then again I am one who cut his family off for good.

so.. not sure hoe much help if any i brought to the table here.

, Canada
#10New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 06:14:14
@breadeater Said

Its their problem, not yours. You can't miss someone you never really cared for, let alone known. They miss him, he died, and thats sad, but thats still no excuse for behaving like idiots and trying to resurrect him through you. They're wrong.

Well, I regret using that word now. "Wrong" seems a little harsh.
If we're talking feelings, they can't really be "wrong", can they?

Sometimes I do wish I were Matthew.. Looking at the pictures from back then, you could tell they were happy. I haven't seen them like that, and it makes me feel bad because you realise then how much they did suffer. I just could never change it.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#11New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 12:06:37
@Judas Said

We're always told what we should do. I like should. I've been taking orders my whole life, and I'm good at it. Even with helping others and cleaning up messes.
I'm not so good at reflecting with myself. It brings up too many things at once and I'm not sure how to deal with it (or what I'll do) so it's a box left closed for now.
Like a cop, right? You come to a murder, even if it's someone you knew, and you just do your job.

You CANNOT be told to "feel" a certain way. Oh sure, we can perhaps condition our minds trying to modify how we may feel about something, but our primal instincts are in place for a reason. Fear and Love are our two main guttural feeling. Sometimes those two go hand in hand .

It sounds as though you could use a close friend or perhaps a counselor to talk things over with. Holding onto suppressed feelings can and will work you over, and will ultimately affect your mental / physical health. Trust your feelings.

J.R.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#12New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 12:44:00
It's absurd that they have put the onus on you to grieve for your brother.

You can't be expected to grieve for someone that you never knew or met.

IMO, your parents were not yet ready to have another child. I don't think they had grieved enough themselves; if that is even possible after losing a child. They were very wrong for treating you they way they did for all those years.

Comparing you to your brother and wanting you to be like him was very wrong.

Now, the things you did after you left home, are no excuse for they way your parents treated you, but I can understand why you did them.

Give yourself some more time if needed before you talk to your parents. Get yourself sorted emotionally/mentally. Regardless of how your parents treat you form now on, know that it's not your fault. It's their issues they have to deal with.

, Canada
#13New Post! Feb 14, 2011 @ 01:44:47
@jr_sanford Said

You CANNOT be told to "feel" a certain way. Oh sure, we can perhaps condition our minds trying to modify how we may feel about something, but our primal instincts are in place for a reason. Fear and Love are our two main guttural feeling. Sometimes those two go hand in hand .

It sounds as though you could use a close friend or perhaps a counselor to talk things over with. Holding onto suppressed feelings can and will work you over, and will ultimately affect your mental / physical health. Trust your feelings.

J.R.

I probably could. I did counselling for awhile, but couldn't keep up with it.
I work in a camp, though. I'm an hour from anyplace and my crew and position changes weekly. I doubt to get close enough to anyone to indulge. I'm stuck with me. Which works most days, if you don't really think about it. Keeping busy, you know. It works.

, Canada
#14New Post! Feb 14, 2011 @ 01:53:10
@Dark_Tink Said

It's absurd that they have put the onus on you to grieve for your brother.

You can't be expected to grieve for someone that you never knew or met.

IMO, your parents were not yet ready to have another child. I don't think they had grieved enough themselves; if that is even possible after losing a child. They were very wrong for treating you they way they did for all those years.

Comparing you to your brother and wanting you to be like him was very wrong.

Now, the things you did after you left home, are no excuse for they way your parents treated you, but I can understand why you did them.

Give yourself some more time if needed before you talk to your parents. Get yourself sorted emotionally/mentally. Regardless of how your parents treat you form now on, know that it's not your fault. It's their issues they have to deal with.

Whoever said life was unfair sure got it right, eh?

When I left... It wasn't pretty. I've had enough doors slammed in my face I'm not sure I really want to walk into one.
Would it be ignorant if I didn't call? If I waited for them, first? Or would that be up to me?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#15New Post! Feb 14, 2011 @ 02:54:54
@Judas Said

Whoever said life was unfair sure got it right, eh?

When I left... It wasn't pretty. I've had enough doors slammed in my face I'm not sure I really want to walk into one.
Would it be ignorant if I didn't call? If I waited for them, first? Or would that be up to me?

Even if you don't feel ready to call them yet, you can write a letter. Do be careful in what you put in said letter though. Don't be aggressive or mean but you can just let them know that you want to talk and work things out. Only if you are really ready though.

Another idea, is to write a letter to them, but not mail it. Get out everything you want to tell them, everything you want to get off your chest. After wards, tuck it away somewhere, or burn it. It can be very therapeutic.

If you're not ready to talk to them, don't. If it takes another few months, fine. There is no need to "Enter the lion's den" if your not up to it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs