The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Should drivers pay by the mile instead of the gallon?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#46New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 17:52:32
@white_swan53 Said

A lot of things effect the quality of our air. With the fuel efficient engines and the pollution control devices the engines have , I agree with raditz about it being more about politics and money then the air quality.
Don't misunderstand me, I do not think its a conspiracy, I live just under a 100 miles from a medium sized city and the 'brown cloud' that hangs over the city is ugly and smells bad.
There are several train yards , countless large companies with huge fleets of diesel burning trucks ,at least a dozen dairies all between here and the city and all that plus the zillion cars all running around there makes that brown cloud .

yes you are right, its surely not all the work of cars, i beleive in california they are taxing the crap out of businesses who fail to comply to the new green standards.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#47New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 17:53:27
@someone_else Said

But, being taxed by the mile instead of by the gallon...

If it passes it we will still be taxed per gallon , plus the new tax per mile . They are planning on adding another 6 cents onto the 18.4 cents federal taxes per gallon we pay now.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#48New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 17:56:18
@white_swan53 Said

If it passes it we will still be taxed per gallon , plus the new tax per mile . They are planning on adding another 6 cents onto the 18.4 cents federal taxes per gallon we pay now.

Oh, my bad. The title says 'instead' and I didn't read any of the links.

There are still issues with that though. For example, a motorcycle and a semi-truck. Big differences in a lot of respects. Why would they pay the same amount per mile?

n/a, New Mexico
#49New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 18:01:31
@treebee Said

Its not a factor in this tax by the mile thing. I said it sounded complicated and that in the UK we are taxed on fuel and engine size. Misunderstood said that it was emissions not engine size. White swan said that must be why JMO felt that tax on emissions was right (Im assuming the laughing mouse is what she meant) and then Raditz implied that we are all brainwashed in the UK. Hence my question.

Deviating from the original subject unfortunately.

The laughing mouse started laughing when my mind connected jmo's statement about the government 'taxing the s*** out of fuel ' and misunderstoods bring up ' emissions'. I sat here lmao for a few moments and posted before thinking .
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#50New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 18:05:21
@white_swan53 Said

The laughing mouse started laughing when my mind connected jmo's statement about the government 'taxing the s*** out of fuel ' and misunderstoods bring up ' emissions'. I sat here lmao for a few moments and posted before thinking .

lol its ok as long as we are having giggles it doesnt matter

n/a, New Mexico
#51New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 18:12:39
@someone_else Said

But, being taxed by the mile instead of by the gallon...really doesn't speak of emissions. What if I'm driving a low emissions vehicle that gets 47 miles per gallon and you're driving a high emissions vehicle that gets 17 miles per gallon (I realize the measurements are weird for you but...you get the idea).

If we each to 20 miles but you're using more gas and producing more emissions, why should we be charged the same amount? It almost makes it not worth it to buy a low emissions vehicle.

In one of the links it states that the whole deal is all about money. since we have these fuel efficient cars that go farther on a gallon of gas ,the transportation department says it is going broke . I personally am not buying into that ,, but then they did not ask my personal opinon ,,, I haven't read all the links but so far I haven't come across anything about emissions , or highway wear and tear , just about the money the transportation Dept. says it's losing out on.

@someone_else Said

Oh, my bad. The title says 'instead' and I didn't read any of the links.

There are still issues with that though. For example, a motorcycle and a semi-truck. Big differences in a lot of respects. Why would they pay the same amount per mile?

I copy and pasted the title of the thread , it's the headlines of the article I linked to in the OP.
Commercial trucks have always been taxed by the gallon and the mile . well I say always , I don't know when it was implemented but I do know that for the last 40 or 50 years the state and federal government collect some pretty steep taxes both per gallon and per mile on them.

I read that the government will attach some sort of a devise to our cars that will some how make it possible for it to be read at the gas pumps and the tax will be collected when we fuel our cars.
There is a state that is conducting a test run of this very thing that is using a GPS with an Iphone to keep track of the mileage on the cars.

n/a, New Mexico
#52New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 19:00:34
@Grasshopper Said

Sure I'd be down with that!!!

You would be down with what ?
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#53New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 19:02:59
@white_swan53 Said

You would be down with what ?

Paying for the mile. My caddy gets 15 miles to the gallon.

n/a, New Mexico
#54New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 19:06:44
@Grasshopper Said

Paying for the mile. My caddy gets 15 miles to the gallon.

Girl, lighten up on that lead foot of yours !!!
Put the peddle to the metal is so old school that back when it was a popular phrase gas was $.50 a gallon .
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#55New Post! May 14, 2011 @ 21:02:35
@jmo Said

Gasoline is so cheap in America compared to over here, can't figure out why you lot complain about it so much.

I read something in the Guardian a couple of months back which suggested it could be one of the key issues of the next election because of how expensive it is, it then went to show how the average price is less than half what we pay here yet here we don't give a s***, it's an expensive commodity which is contributing to global warming, government has every right to tax the s*** out of it.

EVERYTHING is more expensive over there. However, you're also an island nation, so that's to be expected. I'm pretty sure you guys don't drive nearly as much as us either, and again that has to do with geography. We have a lot more space, so we drive a lot more to get to work, school, etc. Which, by the way, is also why I think charging by the mile is a terrible idea. It will effect the working classes far more than it would effect the rich or poor.
Coleosis On December 01, 2013
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#56New Post! May 15, 2011 @ 04:24:33
@white_swan53 Said

About as 'dumb as dirt'. comes to mind.
They are already taxing 18.4 cents per gallon federal tax, they are planning on adding another 6 cents to that plus this tax per mileage .
I was talking to a mechanic about this and from what he said whatever they invent to install will have to be connected into a cars computer . I have news for 'big brother' , I drive a 1985 Chevy pickup all original , they will play hell trying to install any electronic anything on it. And a computer it does not have .

Yeah, from what I hear they are wanting to install a "black box" on the car that basically tells them everywhere you have been. Basically a GPS tracking device. Gas at Oklahoma county (for the county vehicles) is $2.17/gal my friend that works for the county was saying yesterday (because its tax free). Everything past that is taxes and profits. Cheapest gas I can find is $3.69/gal....so thats over $1 every gallon already in taxes and profits.

So no matter what, even if your car gets 50mpg, and cars 15yrs ago got about 20-25mpg when gas was like $1/gal, we are still paying more at the pump than we used to. Its like the governemt is trying to force people into their homes. Places like Oklahoma/Texas and a lot of other states, things are just too spread out to not be able to afford to drive.

The people barely getting by on minimum wage cant afford to spend more on transportation to and from work, I make more than minimum wage and I can barely afford gas sometimes. Add another tax to that and we will be forced out of our jobs because there is no way people can walk 10-20 miles to work everyday...especially in the summer or winter when the weather gets extreme.

n/a, New Mexico
#57New Post! May 15, 2011 @ 04:45:10
@Coleosis Said

Yeah, from what I hear they are wanting to install a "black box" on the car that basically tells them everywhere you have been. Basically a GPS tracking device. Gas at Oklahoma county (for the county vehicles) is $2.17/gal my friend that works for the county was saying yesterday (because its tax free). Everything past that is taxes and profits. Cheapest gas I can find is $3.69/gal....so thats over $1 every gallon already in taxes and profits.

So no matter what, even if your car gets 50mpg, and cars 15yrs ago got about 20-25mpg when gas was like $1/gal, we are still paying more at the pump than we used to. Its like the governemt is trying to force people into their homes. Places like Oklahoma/Texas and a lot of other states, things are just too spread out to not be able to afford to drive.

The people barely getting by on minimum wage cant afford to spend more on transportation to and from work, I make more than minimum wage and I can barely afford gas sometimes. Add another tax to that and we will be forced out of our jobs because there is no way people can walk 10-20 miles to work everyday...especially in the summer or winter when the weather gets extreme.

Yes if this passes the transportation Dept. will be attaching a devise to your car that will keep track of the miles you drive and they said it can be 'read' at the gas pumps and the taxes owed will be collected then . I am assuming that means it will be added onto tho total of your gas receipt whenever you fuel . I was in town today and the price per gallon was posted at $ 4.32.10 .
As you said some states are so spread out that people have to have their cars . A round trip for my mother in law to go to a doctors appointment or to wal-mart is 250 miles . I have it alot better , a round trip for me to go to town is just under 100 miles.

It does not matter, it's an unimportant issue , you are just so stingy , to be thinking of yourself or others when the poor Transportation Dept. is going going going broke and you should feel so so mean to be thinking they shouldn't do everything possible to tax tax tax us all they can so they can continue thinking up ways to get more of our money ... << 110 % sarcasuim BTEW.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs