The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Art & Literature:
Writing

There's a lot more to writing, than writing

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! May 24, 2009 @ 07:31:48
I?ve been on here for about 45 minutes going through my posts, making sure that my files were complete.
They forget to tell you how much time, organization and ?nose to the grindstone? it takes to be a successful writer. I make a decent living and could probably do better, but I?m on my own; secretary, typist, organizer, mailer, etc. I have an agent, but she brings me tons of things to sign and since she?s a friend she hangs out and tells me what stinks. I also always need an editor, I?m the ?queen of typos?, and will be the first to admit it. As I went through my post, I thought, ?Boy, are you a windbag.? I can talk and, good or not, I?m prolific. This can be good or bad, I see quite a bit crossed out once an editor has his way. This is not a life of jammies and tea, it?s hard work. You have to want it and you have to be a self starter. The work doesn?t just happen, and if you count on your muse to make a living, you?re in trouble. The books and poems are fine if you?re James Patterson, but most of us like to eat. Writers who are not well known must write for other venues; research, research assistants, fillers for magazines and newspapers, etc. You need that ?foot in the door? to get started. Very few have the money to ?just write?. I didn?t until I left my teaching job and even then it was a slow start. Right now I have an anthology and a book getting ready for the shelves. The book has me in a bit of trouble; it went down a personal vein and I?m snagged. The anthology will probably be released first. This in itself is a great accomplishment for me. This economy is not much for poets, we don?t make enough money for the publishers, but I got lucky. We?ll see. I write because my mind and pen seem to want me to, I can?t help myself. This is what I?m saying; if you want to be a writer there has to be a part of you that can?t stop the desire. It?s a need, passion, desire and then hopefully a moneymaker. Just thinking out loud again, oh no!

In case anybody?s counting, this took me 2 min. to type. It?s 407 words.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#2New Post! May 24, 2009 @ 07:47:13
@readsalot Said

I?ve been on here for about 45 minutes going through my posts, making sure that my files were complete.
They forget to tell you how much time, organization and ?nose to the grindstone? it takes to be a successful writer. I make a decent living and could probably do better, but I?m on my own; secretary, typist, organizer, mailer, etc. I have an agent, but she brings me tons of things to sign and since she?s a friend she hangs out and tells me what stinks. I also always need an editor, I?m the ?queen of typos?, and will be the first to admit it. As I went through my post, I thought, ?Boy, are you a windbag.? I can talk and, good or not, I?m prolific. This can be good or bad, I see quite a bit crossed out once an editor has his way. This is not a life of jammies and tea, it?s hard work. You have to want it and you have to be a self starter. The work doesn?t just happen, and if you count on your muse to make a living, you?re in trouble. The books and poems are fine if you?re James Patterson, but most of us like to eat. Writers who are not well known must write for other venues; research, research assistants, fillers for magazines and newspapers, etc. You need that ?foot in the door? to get started. Very few have the money to ?just write?. I didn?t until I left my teaching job and even then it was a slow start. Right now I have an anthology and a book getting ready for the shelves. The book has me in a bit of trouble; it went down a personal vein and I?m snagged. The anthology will probably be released first. This in itself is a great accomplishment for me. This economy is not much for poets, we don?t make enough money for the publishers, but I got lucky. We?ll see. I write because my mind and pen seem to want me to, I can?t help myself. This is what I?m saying; if you want to be a writer there has to be a part of you that can?t stop the desire. It?s a need, passion, desire and then hopefully a moneymaker. Just thinking out loud again, oh no!

In case anybody?s counting, this took me 2 min. to type. It?s 407 words.

Congrats to you for your creativity and success. I know exactly what you mean because I tried to finish a novel before I turned 40. I'm not sure if I lack the talent or if I've had writer's block for a few years. The ideas don't come easily. Mary Higgins Clark, who's very famous, submitted her first book and was turned down 20 times! The fact that you've completed your work is enough proof for me to know that you're talented and hardworking. I'd like to read your work. I wish you the best and thanks for the advice. I have some writing I'd like to share with you and constructive criticism is welcome.

Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#3New Post! May 24, 2009 @ 07:47:18
Lots of truth going on there. Nice that you can put your thoughts out in a flow like that. I could have gone into either graphic arts or writing for career choices because I have talent in both areas but, I could never push myself to turn my own private hobbie/joys into something I HAD to do in order to make a living. I just didn't want to HAVE to write or draw something that I didn't care about, lol, same reason I never went for collage, I didn't want to have to take classes and study stuff that holds no interest for me. It would be nice to see a book or two published, but I think that will have to be something that I only see in my dreams
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#4New Post! May 24, 2009 @ 08:22:17
@Octavarium Said

Lots of truth going on there. Nice that you can put your thoughts out in a flow like that. I could have gone into either graphic arts or writing for career choices because I have talent in both areas but, I could never push myself to turn my own private hobbie/joys into something I HAD to do in order to make a living. I just didn't want to HAVE to write or draw something that I didn't care about, lol, same reason I never went for collage, I didn't want to have to take classes and study stuff that holds no interest for me. It would be nice to see a book or two published, but I think that will have to be something that I only see in my dreams

I'd like to offer you some advice. Do NOT waste your talent.

My son has been artistic since he was 3 or 4 years old. He's universally talented. Three years ago, he didn't want to draw, write, or play the guitar professionally. He started going to a technical college and lost interest in his major. Now he's attending art school and broadening his work. He's amazing and I'm not just saying that because he's my son. If you wish, check out my profile. There's a picture he did 3 or 4 years ago. He only drew Japanese anime characters, but if I asked, he'd draw flowers and animals for me. He paints now. His dream is to work for a major animation studio. Of course, he changed his field of study 2 or 3 times before deciding on animation. I'd like to see your drawings if you would allow me.

I hope I don't seem pushy. If you don't want to do it, you won't be happy. You deserve happiness. : )
03blithe_visionary03 On July 26, 2009

Deleted

#5New Post! May 25, 2009 @ 22:56:28
wow you're good. Oh and you also inspired me =3

Hopefully your books do well, and you reach your dream. I understand just a bit better than before about the process of writing and getting published.

Thank you
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#6New Post! May 26, 2009 @ 01:53:14
Mysteria, Thank you very much for your words, that was very kind
Unfortunately, sometimes, the realities of life are not conducive to the fulfillment of dreams and the only happiness found is in simply being able to make it through from day to day, which is, again, unfortunately, where I find myself.
For my art, I stopped drawing about 9 years ago. Stuff was going on at that time and all my desire and drive to draw pretty much died and I haven't picked up a pencil since. At least not for art. That's when I earnestly focused on writing. I would love to show some of the art work I've done but at the same time I stopped drawing I also trashed every picture I had done and or had with me. There's probably a sketch about the place somewhere, but otherwise its all gone now. If I find one I'll be sure to put it up though
Every once in a while I'll see something or think of something that I would love to try and draw, that creative drive is never absent, but I just cant bring myself to go through the process of doing it. The meaning or purpose for doing it is gone and it just feels like a fruitless waste of time. *sigh*..., like I said, the drive and the dreams died...,
Anyways, I still write, it's the only place I can focus that need for some kind of creative outlet now-a-days

Wow, I've written a lot, lol, sorry for taking up your thread Susan

And again, thank you for your thoughts Mysteria, they're very much appreciated and that's very cool for your son, I wish the best for him
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#7New Post! May 26, 2009 @ 03:23:29
@Octavarium Said

Mysteria, Thank you very much for your words, that was very kind
Unfortunately, sometimes, the realities of life are not conducive to the fulfillment of dreams and the only happiness found is in simply being able to make it through from day to day, which is, again, unfortunately, where I find myself.
For my art, I stopped drawing about 9 years ago. Stuff was going on at that time and all my desire and drive to draw pretty much died and I haven't picked up a pencil since. At least not for art. That's when I earnestly focused on writing. I would love to show some of the art work I've done but at the same time I stopped drawing I also trashed every picture I had done and or had with me. There's probably a sketch about the place somewhere, but otherwise its all gone now. If I find one I'll be sure to put it up though
Every once in a while I'll see something or think of something that I would love to try and draw, that creative drive is never absent, but I just cant bring myself to go through the process of doing it. The meaning or purpose for doing it is gone and it just feels like a fruitless waste of time. *sigh*..., like I said, the drive and the dreams died...,
Anyways, I still write, it's the only place I can focus that need for some kind of creative outlet now-a-days

Wow, I've written a lot, lol, sorry for taking up your thread Susan

And again, thank you for your thoughts Mysteria, they're very much appreciated and that's very cool for your son, I wish the best for him

I understand. You're welcome and thank you.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#8New Post! May 26, 2009 @ 03:55:06
It was very nice to read what you wrote Susan, and Mysteria. I have never believe that a labor of love is ever easy. I know I always loved typing, maybe I loved it because it was one thing I seemed to excel at, don't know. But I loved typing since high school, and I love the sound of the fingers flying when you're on a roll. I write for pleasure, but I only journal. When my journals become more 'work'
then pleasure, more 'despairing' then joyful ... then I quit for awhile. I'm finally becoming aware of the energy I project [and how that affects my peace, my joy, and how I face my day] (aside from what I say and do or write) and the energy projected by those around me. I suspect I am just beginning to learn about karma - good and bad. Therefore, I am also much more aware of the energy projected by others (not just what they say or write, but how they say it or write it, and their 'other body language' - their vibes). Well, sometimes I take breaks from journaling, but it doesn't last for more then 2-3 months and then I start it again. I don't do my jourals online, I do mine in shorthand. These journals I do not want handed down to future generations. I am impresed by those who write for a living, for those who are published. But I write only for myself, But it brings me joy. Annnddd....the best thing is for journaling, you can: write whatever you want, however you want, as long as you want and not be tuned out by disintersted people who stop listening), you can use words that suit you (don't worry about implied or explicit subtexts), use grammar that suits you (that means if you want to, you can use full senteces that have subject, verb, capitlization, and punctuation et al, or you can misspell your words and leave out the vowels, or you can dorunonsentenceslikethisifyouareinthemood. But the best thing of all to me about journaling is that it doesn't matter if anyone else wants to hear or read about what you wrote, you always have a captive audience (yourself). I am feeling very lucky getting to know some of the writers on TFS. Good writer friends are hard to find.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#9New Post! May 26, 2009 @ 04:02:05
@DuLu Said

It was very nice to read what you wrote Susan, and Mysteria. I have never believe that a labor of love is ever easy. I know I always loved typing, maybe I loved it because it was one thing I seemed to excel at, don't know. But I loved typing since high school, and I love the sound of the fingers flying when you're on a roll. I write for pleasure, but I only journal. When my journals become
more 'work' then pleasure, more 'despairing' then
joyful ... then I quit for awhile. I'm finally becoming aware of the energy I project (aside from what I say and do or write) and the energy projected by those around me. I suspect I am just beginning to learn about karma - good and bad. Therefore, I am also much more aware of the energy projected by others (not just what they say or write, but how they say it or write it, and their 'other
body language' - their vibes). Well, sometimes I take breaks from journaling, but it doesn't last for more then 2-3 months and then I start it again. I don't do my jourals online, I do mine in shorthand. These journals I do not want handed down to future generations. I am
impresed by those who write for a living, for those who are published. But I write only for myself, But it brings me joy. Annnddd....the best thing is for journaling, you can: write whatever you want, however you want, use words that suit you (don't worry about implied or explicit subtexts), use grammar that suits you (that means if you want to, you can use full senteces that have subject, verb, capitlization, and punctuation et all, or you can misspell your words and leave out the vowels if you want to ordorunonsentenceslikethisifyouareinthemood.
But the best thing of all to me about journaling is that it doesn't matter if anyone else wants to hear or read about what you wrote, you always have a captive audience (yourself). I am feeling very lucky getting to know some of the writers on TFS.

Thanks for your post. I think I'm just a "Wannabe" writer. Your comment about Karma caught my eye. You might receive a PM from me about that later.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#10New Post! May 26, 2009 @ 04:07:23
No problem. That'd be an intersting thread.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#11New Post! May 26, 2009 @ 04:12:30
I'm out of kudos, I owe some people, ten isn't enough.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#12New Post! May 26, 2009 @ 23:58:14
The home page shows that another member posted after you, Jazz. Can you see it?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs